Tuesday, June 19, 2012

You say phylum, I say phyllum

Largeleaf Avens (Geum macrophyllum var. macrophyllum)

Geum: a genus of about 50 species of herbaceous plants in the Rose family
Macrophyllum: big... leaf?

I can't find any definition of the word Macrophyllum. Macro is obvious enough, but phyllum has stumped me. I thought it might be phylum, but that doesn't make sense either. The word Macrophyllum is used when describing big leaf maple as well, so I'm going to go the easy route and assume it refers to large leaves.

Largeleaf Avens is a member of the rose family, although it's big leaves remind me of strawberry mixed with a raspberry plant.  It is found in meadows and moist forest environments. I found this specimen while camping on the Clackamas River. As you can see, it has 5 petaled yellow flowers that are very bright, but plain.

I have read that Avens was used medicinally by many Native American tribes, both internally for stomach pain and externally for healing bruises and boils. I don't see any record of this plant being used as food.

No comments:

Post a Comment